Monday, December 21, 2015

Paula's ABC Quiet Book

Today's fantastic quiet book was made by mom Paula, who writes the blog "Making it up as I go."  She sewed pages for every single letter of the alphabet to help her girls learn their letters. Each page has the letter and several different items that start with that letter - for example, the "A" page has an embroidered apple, arrow, and ant. This book has so much cute embroidery - I love all the ideas Paula came up with for each letter! Please, enjoy!


A picture of the outside cover and handle:


How Paula bound the pages together with the cover:


Interview

What's your name? Describe yourself in one sentence. 
Paula! Stay at home mum, sewing nut, generally driven by the bizarre thought that I must be productive with everything I do.

Who did you make this quiet book for? How old are they?
My girls who are two and a half and one.

What's your level of sewing experience? 
Intermediate.

How long did it take you?
About four or five hours over six weeks. I was planning on it taking longer, but I put the pedal to the metal to get it done while my two year old was interested in learning letters.

Did you use any templates? Where can they be found? 
Nope. Everything came out of my head or from the scrap box and onto the page.

How did you bind your quiet book? 
Button holes and cord.

What material are the pages made out of? 
The pages themselves are bedsheets that I recycled.

What other materials did you use? 
Felt, cotton, scraps of who knows what, drill, rubber table protector, buttons, velvet, beads, cords, zip.

How much did all the supplies cost you? 
I aimed to make all of it from what I already had (hence cutting up the old bed sheet for the pages), but I did buy some of the fancy buttons and the ABC print fabrics too. Probably about $40.00 AUD all up.

What's your favorite page? Why? 
I love the C page for the simple reason that the car wheels turn.

To see Paula's quiet book on her own blog (with more pictures of details and explanations), click here: Making it up as I go: ABC Book Breakdown

Paula, thank you so much for submitting your adorable quiet book!


Have you made a quiet book that you'd like to share? Click here for instructions on how to submit your own quiet book!

2 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely fab, great idea, love it, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book! So much work! I made a quiet book with similar construction.

    ReplyDelete