Friday, September 20, 2013

Carrie's Quiet Book

Hey everyone! I love the quiet book I get to share with you today. It was made by Carrie of November Morning for her four-year-old son, and it has so much texture and detail that everything just pops off the page. The hand-stitching is so cute and I love that she uses textured felt - it's such a great way to add visual detail to a quiet book without more work. I would be very hard-pressed to choose a favorite page in this book, but if I had to choose one here I'd pick the seasons/tree page with changeable foliage and the laundry-line page next to it. Both pages are so cute and work so well together. Anyway, scroll down, look, and enjoy!


Interview

What's your name? Describe yourself in one sentence. 
Carrie.  I'm a crafting, knitting, photographing, sewing, and baking mama and wife.

Who did you make this quiet book for? How old are they?
I made this for my son a couple of months before he turned four.

What's your level of sewing experience?
I'm not an expert sewist by any means.

How long did it take you?
I'm not sure how long it took total but I'm sure it was many many hours.  I did a lot of hand-sewing and spread the work out over a couple of months.

Did you use any templates? Where can they be found?
I mostly cut and drew free-hand.  There is also a ton of inspiration on Pinterest.

How did you bind your quiet book?
I bound it using embroidery thread and this tutorial.

What material are the pages made out of?
Felt, felt, and more felt!

What other materials did you use?
Embroidery thread and snagless velcro.

How much did all the supplies cost you?
Maybe $50?

What's your favorite page? Why? 
It's too hard for me to pick favorite, but I am a tiny bit partial to the seasons pages.  O's current favorite is the mailbox pages.  Most of the adults that see it seem to like the robot page best.


A big post on the book (with more photos and lots of tips) can be found on Carrie's blog here: November Morning: O's Felt Book. Thank you so much for sharing your amazing quiet book with us, Carrie!


Have you made a quiet book that you'd like to share? Click here for instructions on how to submit your own quiet book!

1 comment:

  1. I'm thrilled to be included on your blog. Thank you for your sweet words! :)

    ReplyDelete