Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Nadia's Quiet Book

Good morning everyone! The very cute quiet book I have to share with you today is all the way from Australia. Made by mom Nadia for her son, it has lots of fun activities to keep him entertained. I think my very favorite pages are the shapes page and the bead-counting page. They're both so colorful, and I know my daughter would love them. I love that the shapes are made out of such cute fabric - I just love the bright patterns. Anyway, I'll stop rambling so that you can take a look!




Interview

What's your name? Describe yourself in one sentence.
My name is Nadia. I am a mum of one from Melbourne, Australia, currently taking a break from social work.

Who did you make this quiet book for? How old are they?
I made this quiet book for my son, Caleb who is 10 months old. It will be a Christmas present. I have been wanting to prepare for when he is a toddler and on the go with some activities that will keep him occupied during church. I know that when he is on the go, I wont have as much time to create things like quiet books.

What's your level of sewing experience?
I am probably a beginner, self taught. I have made a few simple baby quilts in the past, but nothing like a quiet book. I feel I have definitely increased my knowledge of sewing through taking on this task, learning lots on the way from others and through lots of mistakes.

How long did it take you?
Its hard to answer that. I have probably spent the last 4-5 months on the book working in big spurts, then having big breaks. It probably took 15-20 hours all together.

Did you use any templates? Where can they be found?
I used no templates, rather got inspiration of friends quiet books, from the quiet book blog, pinterest and other websites. When I had decided what pages I wanted, I used various household objects to make the shapes, such as bowls, measuring cups, and a rubix cube.

How did you bind your quiet book?
I bound my book by sewing double pages down the center onto a cover.

What material are the pages made out of?
The pages are made out of calico, some lined with interfacing.

What other materials did you use?
I used cotton from my scrap box to make the pictures. It took quiet a bit of work as I bagged out shapes to stop the fraying. I also used valcro, a zip, buckle, a cut up baby overall, a toothbrush, leather, shoe lace, buttons, and beads.

How much did all the supplies cost you?
This is hard to answer as I collected supplies over a long time. Most of my fabric was from my scrap box and most of the other supplies were sourced from op shops or relatives with button collections. I probably spent $25 AUS or so on calico, fabric for the front cover, beads and my op shop bargains.

What's your favorite page? Why? 
I like my brush my teeth page. The mouth turned out better then I was expecting and I think a young child would have fun brushing teeth! I also liked how the tent and my shoe turned out.

Thank you for sharing your super cute quiet book with us, Nadia!


Have you made a quiet book that you'd like to share? Click here for instructions on how to submit your own quiet book!

1 comment: