Friday, September 5, 2014

Desna's Quiet Book

One thing I love about quiet books is how unique they all are. The quiet book I had as a kid, made by my mom, was made out of a kind of muslin material with cotton sewn on top. The quiet books I've made for my own girls have been almost entirely made of felt. Some quiet books are machine sewn, others are hand-sewn. And they all have different activities! Today's quiet book, made by grandma Desna, is made out of cotton and bound like a quilt. Each of the pages are so cute and look so soft and fun. I love all the different patterned fabrics she used, and the way the pages are all connected together! It's such a bright and happy book; take a look and enjoy!


Interview

What's your name? Describe yourself in one sentence.
My name is Desna; I am married, a mum of two daughters and one son; a granny of two little granddaughters and one little grandson.

Who did you make this quiet book for? How old are they?
I made this quiet book for my granddaughter Elise for her first birthday.

What's your level of sewing experience?
I did a little sewing at school and made some dressing up clothes for my daughters but never really took sewing seriously until my eldest daughter was expecting her first child, who is soon to be three years old. I wanted to make something for my first grandchild so decided to teach myself how to quilt through the internet... now I am hooked!

How long did it take you?
Rough guess on how long this project has taken... I spent a long time researching for ideas on the net and deciding how I should make the actual book... then choosing fabrics (any excuse to go fabric shopping!!). The actual sewing, quilting and binding was around a month.

Did you use any templates? Where can they be found?
I looked at lots of ideas and kind of put my own spin on them which I saw on Instagram and many other sites... I loved the Lion Roar page on this blog which simple had to be included and it is one of Elise's favourites.

How did you bind your quiet book?
I bound my quiet book as I would a quilt, as that's what I know best, then connected each page with matching fabric strips. I put a handle for easy carrying and a velcro closure to keep it tidy.

What material are the pages made out of? What other materials did you use?
The main material I used was cotton fabric, mostly from my stash, batting, ribbon, buttons, velcro, snap fasteners, corduroy, lace, pompoms, rickrack, Heatnbond, fusible fleece and fusible interfacing. I was afraid of the little pieces being mislaid so I attached every piece to a ribbon which was attached in the binding.

How much did all the supplies cost you?
This one is difficult! I really have no idea what it cost but it was quite a lot as I was buying in bulk as I have three grandkids and I knew I would be making more. Fabric and batting is expensive... but sure who is counting when you are having fun :)

What's your favorite page? Why?
My favourite page... it is between the weather page and the bird in the nest page but I am so proud of my rainbow as I really struggled and experimented as to how to make it and love it now.

Desna, thank you so much for sharing your beautiful book with us!


Have you made a quiet book that you'd like to share? Click here for instructions on how to submit your own quiet book!

No comments:

Post a Comment