Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Helga's Quiet Book

Today's wonderful quiet book comes from Helga in Switzerland. She has three daughters, who she made a quiet book for when they were children. Now they're older, and have children of their own. Since one quiet book can't easily be shared amongst three families, Helga made two more quiet books for them.

Similar to the printer fabric technique use by Debbie in making her bible quiet book, Helga printed pictures on to transfer paper, which she then transferred to the fabric. Doing so gave her book such a cool look! I love the different details in the book - the dresser, bed, wardrobe, oven - really everything in the whole house. And her granddaughters colored on transfer paper for the cover, which is just so cute. So, please enjoy Helga's quiet book!



Interview

What's your name? Describe yourself in one sentence.
My name is Helga. I live in Switzerland; I am a nurse and I am 60 years old.

Who did you make this quiet book for? How old are they?
I made one quiet book 30 years ago for my 3 daughters. Now they have grown up and have only one book to share for their future children. So I now made two others for my twins.

What's your level of sewing experience?
My level of sewing experience is basic. I never sew clothes.

How long did it take you?
The most time I spent on choosing illustrations, colors and some templates. It's hard to say how much time is was, but it is definitely time consuming.

Did you use any templates? Where can they be found?
I used the doll pattern of Sarah Jane. From my kid's, I changed their portrait photos into drawings to use their head with the paper doll body.

How did you bind your quiet book?
I sew the inside pages to the cover.

What material are the pages made out of?
I used cotton fabric.

What other materials did you use?
I used transfer paper to print patterns on fabric.

How much did all the supplies cost you? 
About $50. The most expensive was the transfer paper and the colors of the printer.

What's your favorite page? Why?
The cover made from their drawing (transfer drawing on fabric). It's my favorite because they did it.

Thank you so much for sharing your lovely quiet book with us, Helga!


Have you made a quiet book that you'd like to share? Click here for instructions on how to submit your own quiet book!

No comments:

Post a Comment