Friday, June 12, 2015

Kyla's Color Quiet Book

Happy Friday everyone! Today I get to share with you a super cute "Colors Quiet Book" by Kyla from the blog Life by Ky. Kyla's book is great; it would be perfect for my youngest daughter right now, who's a year and a half old and learning her colors. Each page has several different fabrics and extras - buttons or bows or ruffles, perfect for a toddler to touch and feel as you teach them about that color. Each page also has several different shades of the color it's representing, which is great. The textures in this book stand out to me, as I'm sure they would to a toddler - it's a book you want to touch. Just perfect for that age. :)

Check it out!


Interview

What's your name? Describe yourself in one sentence. 
My name is Kyla. I am a dog-lover pharmacist who can't stop making all the things!

Who did you make this quiet book for? How old are they? 
I made it for my little cousin when she was born - she'll have to grow into it :)

What's your level of sewing experience? 
Advanced Beginner

How long did it take you?
Good question. I can't remember exactly - probably about 2 hours per page from planning to finish (maybe?) plus putting it together. Maybe more.

Did you use any templates? Where can they be found? 
No templates. I used one as inspiration, but didn't follow it exactly. There's a free tutorial of that one available here: http://everydaycelebrate.blogspot.com/2010/03/tutorial-color-fabric-book.html

How did you bind your quiet book? 
I made a fleece "binding" to match the covers and individual pages. It was a pain to sew through (so thick!) but it kept everything together well.

What material are the pages made out of? 
The pages themselves are made of fleece.

What other materials did you use? 
The extras are random bits of fabric, ribbon, yarn, and buttons. The letters were cut with a Cricut.

How much did all the supplies cost you? 
Everything I used I had on hand already. Many of the fabrics were from a stash I got from my grandma after she passed away so there's a little history to it.

What's your favorite page? Why? 
The purple page! Not sure why... I like the ruffle and the braid.


To see Kyla's quiet book on her own blog, click here: Life by Ky: Colors Quiet Book.  If you click on the individual pages, you can see fun gifs of them being constructed. :)

You should seriously check out the rest of Kyla's blog, which chronicles her adventures in sewing (along with other things). Some of my favorite pages include her Seven Dwarf Costumes (along with their dwarf slippers and belts), her DIY Onesies (I'm so impressed with these - I've tried to make onesies before, and it's hard. Kyla's onesies look so professional!), and her maxi dress.

Kyla, thank you for sharing your cute quiet book with us!

 
Have you made a quiet book that you'd like to share? Click here for instructions on how to submit your own quiet book!

No comments:

Post a Comment